Welcome to cooking class 101. Here in our kitchen laboratory, we will discover the best way to boil chicken thighs. It is common knowledge that boiling is the best way to soften those chicken thighs. What is tricky is knowing how long to cook them. If you cook them for too long, then you might have scattered pieces in your food, and if you under cook them, then…no one wants that.
The best way to have your chicken thigh adequately cooked is to set a timer. If you are cooking chicken thighs with bones, then 40-45 minutes is the recommended time to cook them. However, if your chicken has no bones, boil for 30 minutes at 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
There are a lot of people who cook, disregarding a timer. Well, it is unlikely that their chicken is going to boil perfectly. Timing is an essential factor when cooking chicken right.
Why Choose Chicken Thighs?
Chicken thighs are great because they do not require too much attention when they are being cooked. When they are overdone, they do not go dry quickly. It is as easy as putting them in the pot to cook. You might have to check them once, and you are done. The only necessary thing is the amount of time required for the specific thigh.
The quality of chicken thighs when they are cooked is excellent. They have an exquisite tender texture. They also save your pocket an extra hole, as they are the cheapest part of a chicken. Drive to any grocery store, you know, and you will find them readily available for you. The chicken skin holds a lot of fat content so that you can cut that off. Since the chicken skin helps keep the moisture in, you might not want to cut them off immediately after cooking.
How Long Does It Take to Boil Chicken Thighs Generally?
Chicken is a typical poultry meal worldwide. It is often downplayed the number of technicalities it takes to cook chicken. This often plays out when people prepare their chicken and are disappointed at the outcome—either it is under cooked or an overcooked mesh. A chef’s nightmare!
Chicken meats have a neutral flavor ready for garnishing, marinating, and boiling. They are also tender and have the flavorful power of angels. Finally, do not forget that they are an accessible source of lean protein. There are two types of chicken that you can get. They include; the boneless and the bony. No worries, you can choose any that you like and boil them the same way. They both have different boiling times, however. This is due to the act that the meat around the bones takes longer to boil, owing to the chicken’s heat distribution.
- Boneless chicken thigh Boil for 30 minutes at 175 Fahrenheit
- Bone-in chicken thigh Boil for 45 minutes at 175 Fahrenheit
Bone-in chicken thighs are recommended when serving the thighs whole. However, when the legs are shredded or cut up, you can use the boneless chicken thigh.
How Long to Boil Chicken Thighs Before Grilling?
To save time and ensure that meat is cooked entirely before it is served, many cooks prefer to cook their meat before setting them on a grill. As said earlier, the best way to cook meat is with a thermometer and a timer. One hundred sixty-five degrees Fahrenheit to be precise.
How Long to Boil Boneless Chicken Thighs for Soup?
It takes no less than 30 minutes to cook boneless chicken thigh for your soup.
How Long to Boil Frozen Chicken Thighs?
If your chicken thighs are frozen, it is recommended that they are fully thawed. However, if you are not patient enough, you might require an extra 5 to 7 minutes to cook. i.e.if you are cooking boneless chicken thighs add 5 minutes(35 minutes). And if you are cooking bone-in chickens, then boil them for 42 minutes. When the pieces have started to thaw out in the boiling water, make sure that you separate the pieces.
How to Boil Chicken Thighs?
- Get a suitable pot the will hold water plenty enough to cover the chicken piece fully. You can also choose to use broth if you have no problem with adding immediate flavor.
- Caress the thighs with seasoning. Most people use salt and pepper. However, you can add your preferred cooking herbs and spices. The common herbs and spice include; chili, thyme, and basil.
- Immediately you are done with the seasoning and added your preferred herbs and spices. You can now cover your pot and leave it to boil. As soon as you see the steam, start your timer, and reduce the heat to medium temperature and uncover the pot. When you reach the final stages of cooking, dip your kitchen thermometer to see if the heat has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not forget how long it takes 30 minutes to cook the boneless chicken thigh while 45 minutes is required when boiling bone-in chicken thighs.
- Use a slotted spoon and lay the chicken on a plate to cool it off for 6-10 minutes, when the pieces are cool, you can do whatever it is you want to do with them.
How to Boil Chicken Thighs Faster?
This method is for those with beef with time
- After picking out your herbs and seasoning the chicken, cover your pot as you boil the chicken, the initial suggestion was to open the pot immediately it reaches a boil. However, when you leave the pot open the whole time you are boiling the chicken, you will be saving about 7 minutes.
- The boneless chicken would be right for you too since they take considerably less time to prepare. You can also cut the chicken into smaller pieces for it to cook faster.
- Finally, a pressure cooker can be your friend. Generally, pressure cookers cut the time the chicken would take to cook in half. However, the taste might be compromised because you will be giving the chicken less time to absorb the seasoning.
Factors That Affect Boiling Time of Chicken Thighs?
The size of the thigh is a prominent determinant. Smaller thighs should lake less time to boil, while the bigger thighs should take more time. Recently though, retailers choose to sell chicken pieces that range from medium size to large. It is recommended to thaw your meat before cooking them. But, you can also boil bone-in chicken for 52 minutes and boil boneless chicken for 30 minutes.
Finally, altitude can affect the boiling time. Funny as it may sound when cooking in higher altitudes, the air is drier, and moisture evaporates easily. So it takes longer to boil your chicken. Turning up the heat will not help also. All that you can do is to make sure that the water does not fully dry out. Pour water once it begins to lessen in the pot. Higher altitudes will make you also add at least 5-7 minutes to your boiling time.
Chicken Thigh Recipe
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 3-4 Persons
We are going to be sharing cooking with Claudia’s honey garlic baked chicken thighs recipe. The ingredients include:
- ½ to 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Crushed cloves garlic
- Ginger paste
- Brown sugar
- Chili paste
- Chopped thyme
- Ground cinnamon
- minced medium onion
- Corn starch
- Finally, salt and paper
Preparation Method :
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite-size pieces leaving some fat for more flavor
- Pour olive oil all over the chicken
- Add your honey, soy sauce, some soy sauce, crushed garlic and ginger paste, add the chili paste, brown sugar, cinnamon to bring the sugars flavor, fresh thyme and onion, lastly salt and pepper.
- Mix everything and cover it. Place it in the fridge to marinate for two hours. For those who have time, you can marinate it for longer so that the meat will soak all flavors.
- Get a baking pan and set aluminum foil to cover the base. Pour the marinated chicken and spread it in a single layer.
- Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit and place the chicken in there for 25 t0 30 minutes.
You have to make sure that you handle the chicken properly to reduce your risk of illnesses. Make sure that you maintain all safety rules while in the kitchen.
Hi, I’m Cindy Anderson a Trained classical Journalist, a mother, and a wife. I’m an introvert, cooking and writing has been my major part of life style. Cindy has been writing for kitchenaries since March 2020.