This post contains affiliate links. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
Are you looking for an answer to is silicone spatula safe for cooking because you are worried that it might intoxicate your food? Well, yes, silicon spatula is safe to use during cooking as it is chemical-free and does not transfer toxins in the food.
Choosing the right cooking utensil is crucial as the food is cooked and stored in these utensils. So, it would be best to consider many factors while selecting utensils for cooking, especially their health effects.
In this article, we will be discussing silicone spatulas in detail. So, without any further ado, let’s get started!
- What Is Silicone Spatula Made Of?
- Are Silicone Spatulas Good?
- Are Silicone Spatulas BPA Free?
- Is Silicone Cookware Toxic?
- Is Cooking In Silicone Healthy?
- Is Silicone Spatula Heat Resistant?
- What Are The Best Spatulas?
- Can I Use Silicone Spatula For Frying?
- Are Silicone Utensils Better Than Plastic?
What Is Silicone Spatula Made Of?
Just as the name implies, it is made of silicone which is a synthetic rubber. This rubber is made of a combination of silicon and oxygen. As silicon is flexible, so it makes it easier to get your cupcake out of the molds. However, it is sturdy and durable as well despite being stretchy.
Are Silicone Spatulas Good?
If you are thinking of using silicone spatulas for cooking purposes. Then, you might be wondering whether it is worth it to get one or not. Well, yes, silicone spatulas are good to use due to the factors mentioned below:
- Silicone spatulas do not harm the other utensils. The dishwasher will not damage them.
- Silicone spatulas are available in various sizes.
- Silicone spatulas maintain their shape and quality.
- They are not easily stained and easy to clean.
- They are non-corrosive and stays as good as new.
- They can bear a significant amount of heat.
Are Silicone Spatulas BPA Free?
BPA refers to a chemical called bisphenol-A. It is used to manufacture many commercial products, especially plastics and resins. However, even a low dose of BPA in your cooking utensil can lead to many health-related issues.
So it’s better to check the composition of the material of the utensil you want to get. However, if you are considering getting silicone spatulas, rest assured that silicone spatulas are BPA-free, making them safe and suitable for cooking.
Is Silicone Cookware Toxic?
The toxicity of food can lead to significant health problems. Moreover, these problems can range from stomach-related to heart-related issues. However, silicone cookware is not toxic because it does not react with the food while cooking.
Also, it does not release any fumes or particles that might intoxicate your food. Since the introduction of silicone utensils, there has not been any safety problem reported.
Is Cooking In Silicone Healthy?
The food you eat contributes significantly to your health. Moreover, the utensils you use can influence your food, indirectly affecting your health. So, it is highly recommended that you choose your utensils carefully.
However, you can cook in silicone utensils because it is safe and healthy. Also, you need not worry anymore as silicone utensils are made to be user-friendly. Furthermore, they pose no threat to health as they do not retain and transfer the germs into it.
Is Silicone Spatula Heat Resistant?
While cooking, heat is provided according to the dish you are making; the fluctuations in heat are common. Therefore, the utensil you are using must be able to adapt to the temperature accordingly.
Yes, the silicone spatula is heat resistant. It can withstand high temperatures up to 500-600 Fahrenheit.
What Are The Best Spatulas?
If you are confused about which spatula is best for you. Then, don’t worry! Here are the top 3 best spatulas of this year:
It made our list due to the following factors:
- This spatula is stain-resistant, which makes it easy to clean.
- Its handle is rigid, making it suitable to mix denser doughs.
- It has a notched blade to scrape the sides of bowls and pans.
- This spatula can bear high heat levels up to 500 Fahrenheit.
- It can be easily washed in a dishwasher with other utensils.
This spatula is highly suitable due to the following features:
- It has a silicone blade, which is ultra-thin.
- Its core and handle are of stainless steel.
- This spatula has extra stability and strength.
- It can resist high heat levels up to 600 F.
- It can be easily washed in a dishwasher.
It is best to use when flipping burgers are concerned. Its significant characteristics are:
- It is a heavy-duty spatula that can last you worth a while.
- It has a wooden handle and a blade made of stainless steel.
- It has beveled edges, so it can easily slide under any food.
- It is not made in such a way to be washed in a dishwasher.
Can I Use Silicone Spatula For Frying?
Spatulas serve many purposes in the kitchen. For example, they are used for cooking an egg, or you will see someone using a spatula to flip a burger on the BBQ grill. However, when the question about using silicone spatulas for frying is concerned, the answer is obvious.
Yes, silicone spatulas can be used for frying because of two reasons:
- If frying is done at a high flame, they can easily bear the high temperature.
- Silicone spatulas are not flimsy, so no damage is done to them during frying.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your silicone spatula right away and fry some delicious potato chips.
Are Silicone Utensils Better Than Plastic?
To determine whether silicone utensils are better than plastic ones, it is necessary to know their differences or contradictions. So, here are the significant differences between silicone and plastic utensils:
|Silicone Utensils||Plastic Utensils|
|Silicone utensils last for a more extended period.||Plastic utensils do not last for a more extended period.|
|Extreme fluctuations in temperature do not damage silicone utensils.||Extreme fluctuations in temperature end up damaging plastic utensils.|
|Silicon utensils do not contain any harmful chemicals.||Plastic utensils have some amount of harmful chemicals in them chemicals such as BPS.|
|Silicone utensils do not contain traces of flame retardants and heavy metals.||Plastic utensils, mainly black, are containing traces of flame retardants and heavy metals.|
|Silicone utensils are not harmful to the environment.||Plastic utensils are harmful to the environment.|
|Silicone utensils are easy to clean.||Plastic utensils can be hard to clean.|
As the table explains, it is better to choose silicone utensils instead of plastic ones so that your health remains intact. Furthermore, no harm is done to the environment.
To sum it up, you can use the right cooking utensil by gaining knowledge about its material and drawbacks. Understandably, choosing a utensil is a difficult decision to make. Many factors need to be considered, including their effect on your health and the environment.
However, if you ever see yourself struggling between a silicone and a plastic utensil, make the right choice by selecting a silicone utensil. Also, the silicone spatula will be relatively environmentally friendly, making it a better option.
Moreover, using a silicone spatula means that the food you cook is healthy and devoid of harmful chemicals. Therefore, it seems that you can benefit significantly from a silicone spatula.
We hope that this article has helped answer your question ‘is silicone spatula safe for cooking.’ So, get ready to buy silicone utensils for your kitchen now!